[GeoStL] Re: Bogus MOGA logs-I have to admit, you had a good point

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:10:25 -0500

Nathan,

If you are not doing it for the numbers, why would you log 28 caches that
you did not find?  Why is it cheating? It is not following the rules-you are
supposed to find the cache and sign the log.  You did not.  Would someone
going and finding some easy caches instead of punches and claiming the
caches as punches be cheating for the competition?  It seems like the same
thing to me.  I, however, think the real problem is MOGA sanctioning
cheating instead of making the course a cache finding contest.  I've asked
on the forums if this happens at other events and it appears MOGA is unique
in this regard.  When you hide a cache, you must check the box that you
agree to groundspeaks rules.     One of them is to delete logs like yours
("Delete any logs that appear to be bogus").  Why should not MOGA staff
respect the rules of Geocaching?  I think its great people do the
competition, but if you want to claim caches for the competition, the
competition should be finding caches, not punches.

Since you are doing what MOGA Staff tells you is OK, claiming finds you did
not find is somewhat understandable.  However, I do not think there is any
justification for someone to be claiming a find for volunteering.  I
probably would not have sent my first message if after wading up to my waste
in cold water and getting a DNF, I had not found out that multiple cachers
(including some who's dishonesty has caused major problems over here with
someone taking it out on other cachers) had claimed the cache in exchange
for volunteering.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"