[GeoStL] Re: Basement Repair

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 12:57:49 -0500

-
Have you identified the cause of the puddle, and by that I don't mean
the original cause: rain. My fiance had this issue last year. The water
was coming up between the slab and the walls. Nothing to do with cracks.
Just hydro pressure forcing water up from below the slab. The only
solution there is to have sump pump(s) installed. This is going to
involve breaking up the concrete on the slab all around the basement
where it meets the wall. Drain guides are placed to route the water to
the sump(s). A hole is dug to place the sump pump, then an exit hole is
made for the output of the sump.

It was a major expense, but pretty much the only way to get it done
right. My dad did a similar thing in his basement. But instead of
breaking up the perimeter of the slab, he glued down an "L" bracket of
some kind and channeled the water toward where he installed his own sump
pump. His method seemed to work. He didn't even make an exit hold for
the sump output. He just opens up a window and runs the hose outside
when it rained. Mom finally put a stop to that and he had to finally
make a hole that didn't require manual intervention.

On 5/17/2010 12:17 PM, Andrew Senger wrote:
> -
> The recent rain has decided to turn our basement into a puddle. Any
> good references for repairs similar to what Woods and Helitech offer?
>
> Andrew Senger
> asenger@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.yawetag.net
> "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also
> postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports
> referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

>   Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived  http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
>   Missouri Geocaching land policies -->  http://tinyurl.com/lgyy84
>   Missouri Geocachers Forums -->http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php

from this