[GeoStL] Re: Auto GPSr

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 13:32:22 -0800 (PST)

I have a Nuvi 2555LMT.  Of course, it's SO last year.  I can't quite figure out
the equivalent current model. Maybe the 2557LMT? Anyhow, lifetime maps and
traffic included.  I think I paid around $180 for it.  Although I update the
maps occasionally, it only matters in areas with significant construction.
Traffic is "free" (that's the T in LMT) but pretty useless as far as I can
tell.  For example, I have seen situations on weekends where there are traffic
alerts that are clearly left over from Friday night.  One good thing about
frequent map updates, though, is that some ongoing large construction projects
(like the I-64 reconstruction or the current bridge project) will show up as a
construction zone.

Map updates are extremely slow and a PITA. Has nothing to do with the speed of
your connection.

Note that "lifetime" really means "as long as Garmin wants" - so YMMV.

Personally, what I looked for was a decent-sized display, lifetime maps, speaks
street names (virtually all of them do this now) and without too many bells and
whistles (for example, I can easily live without voice activation, Bluetooth
connections, and a unit that learns my driving patterns and suggests more
eco-friendly routes).  Ability to add an SD or microSD card is good if you do
custom POIs (for the geocachers out there).

Tom