[GeoStL] Re: Archive this geocache?

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:10:12 -0500

-
IMHO, if a cache is on private property the cache description needs to say
permission has been granted.  I also think if a cache is near private
property the cache description needs to address that to make it clear on
where one can hunt for the cache.  People need to think about where people
will look not just where the cache is placed.

It always amazes me how many people have no problem with private property.
I've seen caches that numerous people (including the cache owner) ignored no
trespassing signs.

I had a couple of good examples on the way to CO earlier this month.  The
first was GCKBKH X marks the spot.  It was obviously in someone's yard.  But
with the accuracy of the GPS there were 3 yards it could have been in.  I
posted this note:

"It appeared to be on private property. I do not go on private property
unless the cache page indicates there is permission. With the accuracy of
GPS, it would also be nice to let people know what yard it is in. So I went
on. I hope you address this in the cache description."

The cache page still does not address it and several logs had mentioned the
issue.  But all kinds of people have found it.

I was looking for another one GCJ7AE and was looking at the GPS, when I
looked up I was in someone's back yard looking at a stump.  It turned out to
be right by their fence in another stump.  I made a point of this in my log
and I just looked and the next finder said they almost ended up on private
property.  But there is nothing in the cache description that addresses it.

Then I went and did another GCJB6C.  It was also on private property.  My
GPS was pointing mostly to the Burger King and I searched there.  I finally
looked on the Pizza Hut property and found it pretty quick.  (I should have
looked at the cache placer's name as I would have figured out which property
it was on.)  But I cannot complain too much as I got there about lunch time
and the cache had coordinates for a bonus cache around back that had a
certificate for a free pizza.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"