[GeoStL] Re: Archive this geocache?

  • From: The Deen Family <bajaclan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:38:50 -0400

I found this cache last summer. The area in which it is located is indeed rural, but really not far off the beaten track as the cemetery fronts the local highway. The cemetery / private property line is not clearly indicated by any fence or signage that I recall, and without knowing definitively where the property line lies, I would say that this cache might be located on or near the property line.

My recommendation is that the cache owner needs to temporarily disable the cache and make a note both in the log section and in the description section itself as to why. He then needs to get permission for the cache, which of course he should have done already, and then enable the cache with permission noted and by whose authority. The info portion of the cache page should continue to contain a warning about the neighboring land owner who is less than enamored of 'geo-catchers'. The owner could take it one step further by contacting the disgruntled land owner and explaining both that permission has been obtained and offer a detailed explanation of what geocaching is and how our presence can help reduce the negative element that seems to frequent the cemetery. Needless to say, if permission of the cemetery owner is not obtained, the cache should immediately be archived.

On Aug 21, 2005, at 00:05, Jack Konecker wrote:

I wouldn't want to be led into the situation that
geo-jim encountered.  If it is private property and
the cache placer (http://tinyurl.com/aj3hp)
didn't get permission to hide a cache there,
then I think he should archive it.

It is true that some cemetaries are on private
property.  Unfortunately, they don't all have
signs next to them stating such. Caches in cemetaries
owned and maintained by churches would most
likely not have this type of problem (note I
didn't say 'never').

It is up to the cache placer to do the research
and get permission.

I hate to butcher an old saying, but 'ignorance of
geocaching policy is no excuse'.