[GeoStL] Re: Archive this geocache?

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:42:35 -0500

> No where in the log does it say that the guy made any
> threatening remarks or gestures.

If you were keeping up, you would have read geo-jim's
story that the guy blocked him in with his car, did not
introduce himself in a friendly manner and proceeded to
throw questions at him.  That is threatening behavior.
Had it been someone who didn't have the presence of
mind that Jim had, the encounter could have turned
out worse.

> You are assuming he didn't have permission, you are
> assuming that he's telling the truth about the cache
> being on his property & you are assuming that the guy
> is going to harm somone who may hunt the cache.

You keep missing the point.  It doesn't matter if the guy
had permission to place the cache or if the guy really
owned the adjacent land.  It isn't worth even the
possibility of leading more innocent people into the same
situation because YES, someone could get harmed
the next time because might be the time the guy is
pushed over the edge.

> ... & if he  still wants to complain about people
> caching "near" his property, tough!

Again, I have to disagree with that attitude.  It
isn't a matter of 'we have the right to put a cache
somewhere, so who cares what a neighboring land owner
thinks'.  A compassionate person would consider that
these people themselves FEEL THREATENED BY THE FACT
THAT STRANGERS ARE MILLING ABOUT THEIR
LAND!

I think geo-jim handled the situation wonderfully.
I probably would have handled it less gracefully.
But when encounters like that occur, to keep the
cache active will only aggrevate the situation and
not only get more people angry with our hobby, but
possibly put innocent geocachers in harm's way.