[GeoStL] Re: Archive this geocache?

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:26:46 -0500

I typically take a liberal approach to cache placement,
but I disagree with your stance on cache owner 'rights'.

Whether or not the guy owned the property the cache is
on or whether on not the cache placer got permission to place
the cache, if innocent geocachers are being led into a situation
that threatens their safety or well-being, the cache should
be archived.

If the cache owner wants to go one-on-one with the guy
who is harassing innocent geocachers, that's his perogative.
Don't make innocent people fight his personal battles or
defend the 'right' for the cache to be there.

You can still have variety of cache placement, while allowing
the hobby to self-police itself through peer-pressure.  This
is the way it has been from the beginning.  I would not consider
it wise to support a cache owner's 'right' to place a cache
above personal safety of those hunting it.