[GeoStL] Re: Another scare

  • From: Know Future <know_future@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:27:21 -0600

-
To me, this is the biggest potential problem with urban/suburban
geocaching. Traditional caches (not micros) are cammoflagued, well-hidden
and usually just the right size to arouse the suspicions of a bomb squad.

When we search for caches in busy areas we are careful not to expose its
hidden location to non-geocachers. That means we often putter around
waiting for the muggles to dissipate, so we can zero in on the cache.
Then we wander around a specific bush, bench or whatever, sometimes for
an hour or more, digging, scratching and sniffing everything. I've often
wondered what I look like to a casual observer while wander I around,
make sudden turns, stop, wait, go back and make circles - all the time
looking at something in my hand. You have to admit, it not only looks
weird, but probably suspicious.

These days, everyone is terror-conscious and Homeland Security has asked
every citizen to be watchful for suspicious and/or unusual activities in
public areas. That makes us sitting ducks. If you think about it, who,
besides a bomb-planting terrorist, would be doing the goofy things we do?
It's a wonder that more of us don't get taking into custody for
questioning.

I think there are two things we can do to minimize incidents like the one
reported below.

1) Make sure our cache containers are clearly marked as geocaches.
Stickers are available. We should make sure they are on every cache -
both existing and future caches.

2) Make sure the proper authorities are well informed about the location
and characteristics of the cache container. Maybe it would be a good idea
to take a photo of the container and give it to park manager, forest
ranger, etc for their file so they know exactly what the cache looks
like. Maybe we should consider putting the name and phone number of the
authority that has granted us permission to place the cache on the
container?

I'm sure there are other things we can do to help prevent these unwanted
incidents in the future. Everytime this happens we are getting a bad
reputation in somebody's mind. This is something the whole geocaching
community needs to address, otherwise our hobby/sport may be greatly
restricted in the future.

Just my two cents,

Know Future

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:34:03 -0800 (PST) Pam Ekey <pekey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> -
> At least they didn't detonate this geocache. The following article
> is from the Orlando (FL) Sentinel. Apparently, police down there are
> at least aware of geocaching.
> --Pam
>
> Bomb hunt yields harmless box
> While investigating a bomb threat at the Volusia County Courthouse
> in DeLand, deputies found a "suspicious package," sheriff's
> officials said.
>
> Using a bomb robot, deputies determined that the box found near
> Alabama Avenue and State Road 44 was not an explosive.
>
> When they got a closer look, they figured out that it actually was
> part of a high-tech treasure hunt. Investigators said the
> "geocaching" box, which contained some papers, was likely left as
> part of the hobby whose participants rely on global positioning data
> to find clues.
>
> The box was not related to the bomb threat, deputies said. Deputies
> evacuated all three Volusia County courthouses after receiving the
> threat but found no explosives.

JURA BAR QBBE PYBFRF NABGURE QBBE BCRAF
Subject field