[GeoStL] Re: An actual geocaching topic...what do you think about the frisbee rule?

  • From: "tnands" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:23:24 -0600

Hell in a hand basket.

All I got to say.

Nancy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Bromley
  To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 3:07 PM
  Subject: [GeoStL] Re: An actual geocaching topic...what do you think about
the frisbee rule?

  Nancy,

  We agree on something.  Gasp!  I live in Columbia, Illinois.  It's under
10,000 population and the police are very suspicious of people they don't know.
 If they saw a string of people looking in a place where they don't belong,
they will stop and ask them.  I try to make a point of letting them know where
the caches are so the cachers aren't stopped and questioned.

  A couple of weeks ago, I was hunting a cache out in the rural areas of Monroe
County.  I was hunting a cache that was along a guard rail in the middle of
nowhere.  A gentleman on a 4 wheeler stopped and asked me what I was doing.
Since I wasn't doing anything illegal, I explained Geocaching to him and what I
was looking for.  I found out that he owned the property just across the ditch
from where the guardrail was and knew most everyone along the road.  I didn't
belong there and he wanted to make sure I wasn't doing  something wrong.  He
said the police had found a mobile "Meth" lab not too far from where I was
looking.  He also explained that people had been 'dumping' trash all along the
area for months now and he ended up having to clean it up.  Once I explained
what I was doing, and that the caches wouldn't be going across the ditch and
messing stuff up, he was fine with it.  He just wanted to know.

  It never hurts to have permission and to make sure that the proper people
know what's going on.  In this world of suspicious actions, having permission
is better than getting forgiveness.

  Steve

  On 11/04/2008 2:54:30 PM, tnands (sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
  > Oh yeah .. THIS certainly sounds like a safe topic ... NOT!
  >
  > No frisbee rule. I
  > don't want people tromping through my neighborhood park just because they
think they are entitled. There are several caches in North County parks where
you must walk right by the signs that say, "This park is for the residents of
THIS CITY and you must have a THIS CITY ID ready to prove you are a resident."

  > When we cache in a new town (which is really the only kind of caching we do
now) we feel you have "invited" us there to show us something special by
placing a  geocache. It is your responsibility to make sure you have the right
to invite us.

  > If geocaching were an underground adventure in which part of the thrill is
knowing you are circumventing the law and getting away with something then
frisbee away -- otherwise, I think placers owe finders the most basic respect
in making sure they aren't