[GeoStL] Re: Advice, suggestions, handouts - Caching with New Girl Scouts

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:42:38 -0800 (PST)

I've done this with both Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts.  A couple of tips
specifically for the outing:
1) If the girls are of an age where "treasure" is an incentive, pick full-sized
caches.  And be sure to give swag for trade to each participant before you
start
out.
2) The day before the outing, check to be sure that all the caches you plan to
use are present, in good shape, and don't contain objectionable material.
3) If participants are very young, consider using temporary caches placed
specifically for the outing -- and very closely spaced.
4) If you will have so many participants that you have to break up into
multiple
groups, make sure the adults understand and will enforce the rules.  For
example, I had one of the Cub Scouts make off with the log book as a trade
item.
Also, make sure to give one adult in each group a cheat sheet with enough info
to guarantee finding every cache.
5) Have all coordinates pre-loaded.  If at all possible, use the same model
GPSr
for every group.  That simplifies the initial instructions.
6) Groups of 3-4 usually work well. Groups need to be small enough that each
paricipant gets to "drive" to at least one cache.

7) Depending on the number of groups, you may need to work out the logistics
(and maybe add some caches to list) to avoid the "conga line" phenomenon at the
cache.
8) Make sure to adhere to all the youth protection rules.  Cub/Boy Scouts are
protective, but the Girl Scouts make the BSA look positively careless.  There
was even some question as to whether or not the use of geocaching.com by the
girls was appropriate.

There will eventually be a geocaching training course (for adult
volunteers) available from the GSEM training staff.  SLAGA contributed a lot of
material in early 2011.  I was originally told that it would be available in
January, 2012.  However, I just heard that it will not be available until
November, 2012. So don't count on that as a resource.

Tom