[GeoStL] Re: Additional Waypoints on Cache pages.

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:31:28 -0500

-
 No more questions for now other than how do you do it? It sounds so labor
intensive.
I wouldn't think that intermediate waypoints would really qualify for
inclusion in the spacing rule. Let me rephrase that.... I don't see the
problem in not including them in the spacing rule as if they were actual
caches. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to 'splain it.

Glenn wrote: - EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT questions. Reading the guidelines for
cache saturation, it becomes almost clear. "This guideline applies to all
stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus”
posted coordinates for a puzzle cache." So, IN GENERAL, all points of your
spiffy new cache has to be *at least* (and hopefully more) than the 0.1 mile
guideline from all other waypoints of all other caches. There are things
thatDID matter in the past that I no longer care about. I don't care if the
"Bogus Coords" listed on the page are too close to a cache. They are bogus
sowho cares. I don't care about parking lots anymore, I don't care if two or
more caches list the same trailhead, I don't care about old grandfathered
virtual caches. I also don't care about benchmarks or the new virtual cache
replacements called waymarks. (www.waymarking.com[1]) I DO care about all
other waypoints in multi caches tho even if the waypoint is a "virtual" one.
You know, the ones that say "go here, look at a sign and get some numbers".
Granted, there is no box there but it still does count. Does this mean that
all the waypoints in your new spiffy multi/puzzle cache has to be >528 feet
from each other? No. I will let waypoints in the SAME multicache get a
littlecloser to each other than 0.1 mile. Next point, you are correct about
saying that you may not know where all the waypoints for all the caches are
in a park and it makes it difficult to hide a cache. You are 100% correct.
Itis very difficult and getting more so all the time. Within the last week I
have had too great looking caches try to go into Larson park. There is only
one cache there. Unfortunately it is a multi that blocks out the entire
park.The new cache hiders had to move their caches to another park as Larson
is totally "closed". That is the problem with multi caches in smallish
parks.They can easily block the whole park . Larger areas are affected as
well. This morning I archived a cache that was too close to one of
happykrauts caches in a giant area past Bush Wildlife. How is the problem
found? When a new cache is submitted that "looks" too close to something or
if i just happen to remember that there is a final location of a cache that
is there someplace, I download the waypoint and all the other wpts I have on
file of the particular area and I start mapping and measuring. If it is too
close, I have found a problem. How are problems solved? I have to tell the
cacher that they are too close to another waypoint. I always tell them that
they are xxx feet away. If the cache placer is interested in moving the
cache, they may run a few numbers by me before placing another cache.
Sometimes folks don't and they have had to move a cache 2 or 3 times to get
it right. A cache called "Triple Play" was such a cache. It was move three
times, hence the name. It is not easy. In the Triple Play's case, I had an
areal photo of the area and marked 2 or 3 "safe areas". If I know that the
cacher has found the caches in the park, I can make a real nice map of all
the waypoints with a 0.1 mile circle around each point. It is then pretty
easy to see what is open. Something like http://tinyurl.com/qnevd[2] I can
easily see that the new cache (#1) is too close to 2 &4 and can suggest some
possible good spots based on the areal photos. N39 00.000 W090 00.000
<---from New Cache 1 N38 59.974 W089 59.964 231 ft point 2 N39 00.120 W089
59.619 0.37 mi cache 3 N39 00.074 W090 00.043 493 ft micro 4 N39 00.090 W090
00.253 0.25 mi spot5 Are you making it toooo hard? Not really. It is quite
frustrating for new cachers to find an open area. Everyday I have caches
submitted that never see the light of day because they are too close to
someone's spot. How in the world is a new cacher supposed to know where all
the waypoints for all the caches in all the parks are? It would be tough.
That's why *I* keep track of them in a separate GSAK database. Hopefully the
database of "additional waypoints" will keep track of them even better than
Ican. I have been know to loose a few waypoints here and there. Clear as
mud,right. Any more questions? Glenn Mike Lusicic wrote: - You mention
checking to see if waypoints are too close to existing caches. My
recollection of reading the rules seemed to imply that only the cache had to
be a certain distance from another cache. So what are the rules
concerningstarting points, intermediate waypoints, and final cache
locations.For example, puzzle caches may list the starting point as a
parkinglot. More than one can start in the same parking lot. It all seems a
bit confusing. If you have not worked a cache in the area, you may not know
where a final and intermediate waypoints are, so it is tough to plan
intermediate waypoints on your own multi unless you not only kept track of
the final, but all the intermediates along the way as well. And if you don't
reveal that information to the new cacher, then what to do you tell them? It
is too close, move it, but they may wind up moving it closer rather than
farther away since they don't know where the other stuff is. I guess I may
bemaking it harder than what it is, but I just don't see how it works or
whatthe rules are. Glenn wrote: - Good Afternoon, I am writing to ask
everyone take a look at their multi and puzzle caches and to use the
"Additional Waypoints" feature to add the coordinates for all the stages of
the caches into the waypoint database. It took several years of asking and
waiting but since January 2006 it's finally been possible to record
Additional Waypoints onto your cache pages. Cache reviewers are beginning to
require all multicaches and puzzle caches to have their coordinates posted
ashidden waypoints using this new feature. The reviewers have features
available to work with the additional waypoints, making the processing of
reviewing your cache far more efficient. The final cache location and any
other non-public information can be kept "hidden" so that only you as the
owner, and site admins/volunteers, can view that information. Using the new
feature helps you because you can go back andrefer to your cache page if you
need to check on your cache, and it helps the cache reviewer because it
speeds the process of checking these waypoints against any existing or
futurecache placements, to make sure that caches arenot too close to each
other. If anyone has not looked at this feature, it is pretty neat. Parking
coords, neat things along the cache route or just about anything can also be
added. When a cacher downloads the cache waypoints, they will also get the
additional coords into the gps also. Very neat. I know many of us have
already added additional waypoints to their caches. Thanks a million. I have
been adding many more as I go along but I still have 5 or 600 more to go.
So,please take a look and do what you can. Many thanks, Glenn, your friendly
Geocaching.com admin. Missouri Geocachers Assoc http://www.MoGeo.com[1[3]]
*THE* Forums for Mo &Ks. http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php[2[4]]? St. Louis
Area Geocachers Association http://www.GeoStl.com[3[5]] and Email List
//www.freelists.org/list/geocaching[4[6]] Visit the Ozark Mtn
Dave's Handy Hiding Hints http://www.ratisher.com/geocache_hiding.htm[6[8]]
Add yourself to the Geocachers map at
http://www.frappr.com/missourigeocachers[7[9]] Missouri Caches Scheduled to
be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw[8[10]]
ListInfo or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this list,
click -----> //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching[23] Missouri Caches
Scheduled to be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw[24]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.waymarking.com