[GeoStL] Re: Additional Waypoints on Cache pages.

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:35:38 -0500

-
 You mention checking to see if waypoints are too close to existing caches.
My recollection of reading the rules seemed to imply that only the cache had
to be a certain distance from another cache. So what are the rules
concerningstarting points, intermediate waypoints, and final cache
locations.For example, puzzle caches may list the starting point as a
parkinglot. More than one can start in the same parking lot. It all seems a
bit confusing. If you have not worked a cache in the area, you may not know
where a final and intermediate waypoints are, so it is tough to plan
intermediate waypoints on your own multi unless you not only kept track of
the final, but all the intermediates along the way as well. And if you don't
reveal that information to the new cacher, then what to do you tell them? It
is too close, move it, but they may wind up moving it closer rather than
farther away since they don't know where the other stuff is.
I guess I may be making it harder than what it is, but I just don't see how
it works or what the rules are.

Glenn wrote: - Good Afternoon, I am writing to ask everyone take a look at
their multi and puzzle caches and to use the "Additional Waypoints" feature
to add the coordinates for all the stages of the caches into the waypoint
database. It took several years of asking and waiting but since January 2006
it's finally been possible to record Additional Waypoints onto your cache
pages. Cache reviewers are beginning to require all multicaches and puzzle
caches to have their coordinates posted as hidden waypoints using this new
feature. The reviewers have features available to work with the additional
waypoints, making the processing of reviewing your cache far more efficient.
The final cache location and any other non-public information can be kept
"hidden" so that only you as the owner, and site admins/volunteers, can view
that information. Using the new feature helps you because you can go back
andrefer to your cache page if you need to check on your cache, and it helps
the cache reviewer because it speeds the process of checking these waypoints
against any existing or future cache placements, to make sure that caches
arenot too close to each other. If anyone has not looked at this feature, it
is pretty neat. Parking coords, neat things along the cache route or just
about anything can also be added. When a cacher downloads the cache
waypoints, they will also get the additional coords into the gps also. Very
neat. I know many of us have already added additional waypoints to their
caches. Thanks a million. I have been adding many more as I go along but I
still have 5 or 600 more to go. So, please take a look and do what you can.
Many thanks, Glenn, your friendly Geocaching.com admin. Missouri Geocachers
Assoc http://www.MoGeo.com[1] *THE* Forums for Mo &Ks.
http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php[2]? St. Louis Area Geocachers Association
http://www.GeoStl.com[3] and Email List
//www.freelists.org/list/geocaching[4] Visit the Ozark Mtn Geocachers