[GeoStL] Re: Abandoned Caches

  • From: "Hobbit Taz" <HobbitTaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:30:29 -0600

-
If I find one that I would like to go after but the logs make it appear that
it is gone or in bad condition and no one has placed a needs maintenance on
it then I might send the owner an email asking them about it, if no response
or the owner hasn't been online for awhile I might log a needs maintenance
with a note that I haven't been to search myself yet but apparently is in
need and owner is not readily available.  This way the cache pops up on the
review's view and he can properly notify the owner and then archive if no
action.   I wouldn't place a needs archived on one I haven't searched for
and I am pretty sure that its gone or badily muggled etc.

More appropriately I would think that if the logs make it apparent the cache
is gone or in real bad condition the logger should have placed a needs
maintenance on it then.  Might send an email to the last logger or two and
ask them to return and place a needs maintenance or needs archived if they
felt it deserves it.

What concerns me more is when a cache is there but in dis-repair and is
eventually archived by the reviewer;  who goes out and retrieves the "Trash"
Maybe there should be an "Archived but needs picked up" type or status so
groups like SLAGA can have a CITO to retrieve.