[GeoStL] Re: A better way to organize group cache hunts?

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:05:43 -0500

-
> If disk space is tight, that's definitely a concern.
> But other than that, it seemed the forums pretty
> much died because nobody really drove an interest
>  in that direction.
I added the free PHP forums to geostl.com last year
because of my own curiosity.  It wasn't my intention to make
it a permanent feature until I had a chance to look at it,
but the fact that they existed *leaked out* to the
public and suddenly people started to enter messages
in them.  That only lasted a few weeks - then it
pretty much stopped.  The reality was that people
were happy with the way they got their newsgroup
messages delivered to their in-box.  They weren't
interested in having to go to a web site and click around
until they got to the information they needed.

I wouldn't have a problem if the forum at geostl.com was
active and provided unique content, but to have a forum
on the web site just because everyone else has one doesn't
seem like unique content, to me.

> If I were the King of SLAGA, I would attempt to drive as
> much SLAGA related info as possible through the
> geostl.com site. That would mean killing this mail list,

Maybe the King is listening.

I have had no involvement in the creation or
management of this newsgroup.  The most I have
done is provide a little section on geostl.com to provide
a way to subscribe, change delivery settings and
get to the archives.  I have always been concerned that
we have two separate list of members; one for the SLAGA
web site and one for the newsgroup.  Then, when it
was decided to use a 3rd-party tool to send out newsletters,
we had three lists.  Not in my control.  I'm just the web guy.

> The other advant to a readily available CMS package
> driven site is that it would make the whole enterprise
> a little less dependent on you not falling over and having
> a heart attack tomorrow.

I planned on having a heart-attack last year and tried to
transition my web site responsibilities, but it failed miserably.
We didn't have enough people willing to put in the voluntary hours
necessarily to maintain a good site and learn new web skills.

Heck, we have one volunteer that read us the riot act because
we "wasted an hour of him time, when he could have been playing
soccer with his kid instead."  I'm glad he had his priorities correct,
but ONE HOUR!  Don't volunteer if you don't have ONE HOUR.
You can't do the work in ONE HOUR.

I offered to train others on the schedule jobs, but there were no
bites.  The reason I came back, and to take the subsequent
heat for wrangling back control, was that I couldn't stand to
see the geostl.com web site go stale.

The reason that we have http://www.geostl.com/PHPNuke is
that I offered it as a possbile solution to Glenn regarding
his issue of impending due renewal for http://www.mogeo.com.
I didn't know it would become a public link for people to bang on.

Obviously, that has prompted the idea that geostl.com should
go the same routine. If that is the consensus of the SLAGA
members, so be it.  However, managing a web site using
a canned Content-Management system doesn't give me the
satisfaction I need and the ability to hone my web skills, which
is partly why I am doing what I am for the site.  I would offer my
assistance in the transition, but then I will move on to do
something else more challenging.

(konopapw)
Subject field