[GeoStL] $$$, 501(c)

  • From: "merkin" <merkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:44:10 -0600

-

A check for $75 is on the way.

With 501(c) status, we'd be a legit non-profit group.  My employer would match
the donation, plus kick in a $500 check if I donated more than 50 hours of
services (whether that be CITO, event organization, cooking at a picnic,
working as the bookkeeper, setting out event caches, or teaching a Parks Dept.
class).  There are advantages to the non-profit incorporation process, but
there are substantial hurdles to clear as well.  I'm a member of an apologetics
group as well - our activities consist of a website and limited book
publishing, but liability insurance takes 80% of our operating budget.  And the
group NEVER goes hiking in the wilderness or climbing rocks or carrying snake
sticks.  In other words, if we had liability insurance, it would cost a fortune.

merkin4

Subject field