[GeoStL] 2007 Busch Outdoor Adventures Expo - another report

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jack.konecker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:54:59 -0500

Hot and humid today at the Busch Wildlife shooting range.
SLAGA was represented at the Outdoor Adventures
Expo for the 3rd  year in a row.

Volunteers were:  gmalibby, ztravler, hardwire, happykraut,
BrawnyBear, BWAT, Chod, Strider, Crowesfeat30, konopapw
and Ms E.

The Griffins brought their canopy, which was greatly appreciated.
We had enough volunteers at 8am to start setup.  Event attendees were
allowed passed the gate from 9am - 3pm.  Elaine and I estimated we had
more than (175) visitors to our table, including the ones
who just stepped up and grabbed a brochure.  A good number
mentioned they saw the KSDK cover story that Ann Rubin did on
geocaching and was broadcast on channel 5 on 7/15/07.

We placed (3) temporary caches in the area that would be used
throughout the day to show those interested how to use a GPS
receiver and what some typical  containers and hides were like.
Kids were allowed to take a 'bouncy ball' from the temporary
caches.  And IF a family or individual showed enough interest,
they were given a caribiner with the SLAGA name and web site
on it (although I can't vouch for how many of those were handed
out.)

Nice of the Missouri Dept. of Conservation to lend SLAGA their
Garmin 'yellows'.  It made it easier to put GPS receivers in the
hands of the kids without putting our volunteers own receiver
in jeopardy.  However, they lend them because this happened to
be a MDC event.  SLAGA should see about getting its own set of
'training' receivers for future events.

Even the MDC lent up (22) units, we only put (9) into rotation,
but they were used heavily. Using a laptop and GSAK, we loaded
the 'yellows' with (4) waypoints; (3) were for the temporary caches
and (1) was to the new geocaching.com cache that Strider activated
just yesterday.  This allowed not only the volunteers, but
the visitors to find a loggable cache.

A link to pictures that I took during the event will be forthcoming
and noted in a separate post.

Unfortunately, gmaLibby, one of our SLAGA members who
volunteered for the event, did not take well to the heat and had
to  be taken to a local hospital.  Thanks to all those involved
in identifying the situation, calling for help, and notifying
her family.  Glad to hear from Strider's report that she is doing ok.

Thanks to Jim and Sarah for leading the event and bringing
soda, water and sandwiches for the volunteers.