[GeoStL] Re: 10 Years! question...

  • From: Jim Greene <jimsgreene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:58:44 -0500

-
This was originally planted in 1999 as a letterbox. Today we updated it to a
combination geocache/letterbox. That stamp is for letterboxers.
This is a very easy hunt but my kids loved it.
I'm not sure what date they turned it into a cache too, but about April 2001
was their first find on it. For my Dead Man's Chest cache I set the date for
that to something like 1901 but changed it so it would show up on the new
caches page.

Jim

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Jeff the Blue Bead Man <
bluebeadman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -
> Actually, I'm looking at the oldest caches I've found and for some time
> I've known about this little quirk.  I wonder how many other caches exist,
> or existed, with this same little quirk.  Here's the quirk:  The oldest GC
> numbered cache I've found is GC37 "Watts Mill First" over in Kansas City.
>  It was something like the 50th cache EVER placed (there's an even older
> cache further west in Kansas).  However, when I run a "It's not about the
> numbers" or "FindStatGen" type statistic generator, the oldest cache listed
> is GC606 "Fishers of Men" which was originally placed as a letterbox on
> 6/5/1999.  Of course, that is older than the May 3, 2000 placement of GC1.
>  The "Fishers of Men" cache page (archived back in 2005--check out:
> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC606 ) lists the
> 1999 date as the cache placement date.  What I am wondering is how many
> other "pre-May 3, 2000" caches exist or existed?  Certainly, an oddity, but
> one worth noting.  Glenn, is Groundsp
>  eak thinking of doing something about changing those dates?  Just
> curious...
>
> -Jeff, the Blue Bead Man
>
> -Jeff, the Blue Bead Man

>  Missouri Geocaching land policies --> http://tinyurl.com/lgyy84