[gender-it] Re: More tech + activism frustrations

  • From: FAITHWILDING@xxxxxx
  • To: Sonjak@xxxxxxxxxxxx, gender-it@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:08:37 EST

Hi all, especially Sonja and Anna and Ingrid: I agree about the defensiveness
about feminism that is demonstrated particularly by 'liberal' people of all
genders who think they are 'beyond' issues of feminism and yet are often
unconsciously sexist and racist because they have not dealt with the embodied
conditions of sexism and racism at all. They think it is all in their heads.
And
then they don't make the connections that need to be made. For example,
anarchism
is so related to feminism and to issues of racism. How could they not connect
this? (Obviously they haven't read Emma Goldman or some of the Italian
feminist anarchists). But also it strikes me that the people who most respond
feminism and are interested in it are often those who have not had a long
history
of feminist struggle and activism in their cultures. It is so important to me
to connect up the history of feminist struggle with current manifestations
and feminist contestations. This is what I hope we can do in our book project.
in solidarity, Faith