[geekcrypt] TrueCrypt License

  • From: Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GeekCrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 18:40:10 -0400

I read (yes, actually read) the TrueCrypt License Version 3.0. This
version applies to the 7.1a release code. I made a page on the wiki
that details what needs to be done to comply.

http://ciphershed.org/License

There's a few things we need to focus on immediately to brand the code
ours, such as removing references to "TrueCrypt" and removing/adding
some phrases. I'll do what I can to help this along on the GitHub
repo.

Basically, the way to "get away" from this annoying license and move
to a OSI-approved license, we will essentially have to replace every
single piece of code. Obviously, this is going to be a long, long
process, but long term goals are A Good Thing(tm).

I was already pondering in my mind the use of GTK+ or QT in the GUI.
Both projects are licensed under the LGPL, so we can still release our
code under whatever license we want. Again, down the line...My mind is
always ahead of me.