[geekcrypt] Re: Introducing frehberg, or Frank

  • From: Karen Palen <karenpalensl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:30:31 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I have been silent so far wanting to see just what is happening.

I am retired from a career in Engineering CAD/CAE, starting in this business in 1963!

I am definitely NOT a crypto programmer, but I do have experience in leading diverse projects. For example I was the technical leader for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDIF until Prof. Kahn took over.

This was a project with contributors worldwide and required an enormous amount of coordination, especially when reviewing things!

While my time is limited due to health problems I will gladly offer advice wherever I can.

My first thought is that it is vital to at least establish a "robust" and close dialog between this effort and truecrypt.ch! I doubt if a true "merger" is reasonable at this early stage, but it should certainly be a goal!

While there are very real and important differences between the two projects, both share the same goal: TRUECRYPT must not die!

The rest is really open for discussion.

We have very limited resources for a very large and important job, we do NOT need to dilute that effort with multiple forks! We especially do not need to get some sort of rivalry (e.g. OS wars)!

So far I agree completely with your short range road-map, but I also see agree with truecrypt,ch that locating an "official headquarters in a country like Switzerland could be essential.

My logic is that Switzerland has very strong privacy laws, but is still "significant" enough to resist attempts at bullying or legalistic shutdowns. There is no evidence that this happened this time, but clearly it COULD! Sadly the US is not the only possibility here, many of the world's more "controlling" governments, and many facets of criminal organizations will also have an interest in shutting down a truly robust crypto system.

While I agree with your point on asking for funding, many things are going to cost money and that money must come from somewhere. Some form of donation scheme seems far preferable to either neglecting vital things (like code audits) because of funding or having a large corporation (or government) be "sugar daddy".

The real question is how best to go about raising these funds - Kickstarter? or ???

Some form of donation scheme seems far preferable to either neglecting vital things (like code audits) because of funding or having a large corporation (or government) be "sugar daddy".

Anyone who contributes more than say 20% of your funding is going to want some control - that is just reality!

As I said, there is a lot to talk about here.

Mike Waters
(FWIW Karen Palen is one of my old Second Life characters)

On 06/04/2014 08:12 PM, Frank Rehberger wrote:
As Niklas pointed out, we should join forces, and we should prevent a
split up of the community. I agree, that efforts should be  merged with
truecrypt.ch.
AFAICS, a strong developer-community is very important for the user-base
to regain trust and confidence into the software and roadmap.

So far I see the following major tasks:
* Joined efforts with truecrypt.ch, agreeing on a new name
* Rebranding (name, source code, documents, icons, webpage)
* Porting the sources to an up2date build-environment on different
platforms.

--
Hypocrite: (noun) Republican who collects Social Security or Medicare!