[gatamembers] We need your help for licensure

  • From: "Teresa Woodruff" <teresa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gatamembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 15:29:46 -0400

Hi GATA Members,

As you know, we are trying to obtain licensure for art therapists in
Georgia. We need everyone's help. Congress goes back in session in January.
We would love to have reached as many Senators and Representatives as
possible by then. Each county or district has at least one senator and one
representative. Please help us by contacting them on behalf of GATA. Send
them an email

THE STEPS FOR YOU TO TAKE:

1. Find at least one senator and one representative to email.

Visit this site to find your local senators:
http://www.senate.ga.gov/SENATORS/en-US/SenateMembersList.aspx

Visit this site to find your local representatives:
http://www.house.ga.gov/Representatives/en-US/HouseMembersList.aspx

2. Send an email such as this one below.

Hi Senator Hill,

I am a member of the Georgia Art Therapy Association, and we are seeking
licensure for art therapists to ensure the safety of the public and prevent
unqualified individuals from doing harm.

Our ethics department has been aware of several instances of unqualified
individuals claiming to provide art therapy services and harming children,
such as by having victims of sexual abuse trace each other's bodies in close
proximity, having veterans use sand in art-making (thus re-traumatizing them
and brining up memories of war), and not recognizing signs of serious mental
illness displayed in art. Therefore, clear requirements to claim expertise
as a Licensed Professional Art Therapist needs to be established in Georgia
Law in order to protect the public from the risks of unauthorized
practitioners. Several other states have established such standards and
licensure, such as: New York, Kentucky, New Mexico, Mississippi, and more.

We believe the best route for this may be to contact the Composite Board for
Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists directly by
writing a letter petitioning the Board to add Art Therapy as one of the
professions they regulate.

I would welcome any support, advice, or assistance that you could give.

Please let me know if we can schedule a time to meet or have a brief phone
call. I truly appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

3. Report back to us. It is typical that senators and representatives
will set up a brief phone call or meeting. Suzanne and I would be happy to
be part of it with you (if you want).

I spoke with Senator John Albers today. He was extremely encouraging (and
friendly). He believes that we have a great case and music therapy's
licensure should help us. He also stated that the dentists in Georgia have
one dentist that is assigned to two or three congressmen and are constantly
in contact every couple months (taking them out to coffee, or sending them
emails). Then when they want bills passed, they are fresh in the minds of
the congressmen. We want to be like this!

Thank you for your help.

Teresa

Teresa Woodruff, LPC, ATR-BC, CPCS

Director

Art It Out Therapy Center

1640 Powers Ferry Rd

Bldg 3, Ste 200

Marietta, GA 30067

770-726-9589

<http://www.artitout.com> www.artitout.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from Art It Out
Therapy Center, LLC that may be confidential or privileged. The information
herein is intended solely for the recipient, and the disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this transmission by any other party
is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
transmission is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify us immediately at the number shown
above or by electronic mail.

<https://plus.google.com/115014056689070294690/about>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/art-it-out-therapy-center?trk=vsrp_companie
s_cluster_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A251299281415112367869%2CVSRPtargetId%3
A4810605%2CVSRPcmpt%3Acompanies_cluster> <https://twitter.com/ArtItOut>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-It-Out/102926913121301>
<http://www.pinterest.com/artitouttherapy/>

PNG image