News from the Principal

  • From: reker_d@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ganews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:57:00 -0500

This message was generated by the GA News mailing list, for members of Guardian
Angels School and Parish.

Dear G.A. Parents:

I can hardly believe that the end of November is already here and that we
are ready to begin the month of December, which is a very busy month at
G.A. (and in your homes!).  Advent begins on Sunday, and we ask that you
please remind your children of the meaning of Advent.  The students have
all been given their Advent calendar and Advent Prayer.  Please say the
prayer with your children, and please assist them with their Advent
activities.  In case you would like to pray another Advent Prayer on some
days, I have typed one for you.

ADVENT PRAYER

As we travel on our Advent journey, guide us, dear God of love.
Help us to recognize the great gift You have given us in Jesus,
and may we prepare well for His rebirth in our hearts.

On each day of this journey, may we move closer to Jesus,
the Prince of Peace, the Light of the World.
Shine the light of Your grace upon us that we may follow Him faithfully.

In all our preparations for Christmas, may we always remember that
Jesus if the reason for this blessed season.

Thank You, loving God, for this time of joy and expectation.
Walk with us and show us the way today and every day of Advent.  Amen.

The week of December   3-7 is a very busy one at school, and much time will
be spent on finalizing the P.T.A. Christmas Show, which will take place on
December 9.  Jan Diehl and Geanna Hansell have spent many hours helping the
children with their songs.  It is always great to see the final product and
to know all that hard work was worth it.  It is so great to see the
children use their many talents and shine!

On Monday or Tuesday, the second graders will receive their First
Reconciliation.  Please keep the children in your prayers as they receive
one of God greatest gifts to us, the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

From Monday through Wednesday the sixth graders will be at Camp Kern, which
is one of my favorite activities of each year.  The sixth grade teachers,
Pat Gallion and I enjoy watching the sixth graders meet the challenges at
camp.  They learn so much about nature, early Ohio history and working
together.  Say an extra prayer that the weather stays warm but that the
rain stops.

At 8:15 a.m. on Friday, we celebrate our Advent Prayer Service.  Please
feel free to join us in prayer.

Yesterday (Thursday, November 28) I attended a Principals' Meeting for all
the principals in Catholic schools in the
Cincinnati area.  It was a most interesting day.  The theme of the day was
"Journeying into the Future."  One of the speakers during the morning was
Fr. Christopher Armstrong, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.  He
spoke to us about "Journeying into the Future with Jesus as our Guide."  He
talked to us that being brothers and sisters of Christ gives us our
dignity.  He used one of the thoughts of Martin Luther King, Jr. and asked
us if we were thermostats (one who produces change) or thermometers (one
who just reflects the temp around us.)

Mrs. Anne Battes Kirby, one of the assistant superintendents, spoke to us
about "Journeying into the Future on the Highway to Learning," and Anne
gave us ten trends in education that were proposed by Gary Marx.  She then
spoke about the effects on schools and the directions for schools to take.
I think you will find the titles of the ten trends interesting in
themselves.
(1)  For the First Time in History, the Old will Outnumber the Young.
(2)  The Country will Become a Nation of Minorities.
(3)  Social and Intellectual Capital are Economic Values.
(4)  Education will Shift from Averages to Individuals.
(5)  Millennial Generation will Solve Problems and Injustices.
(6)  Continuous Improvement and Collaboration Replace Status Quo.
(7)  Technology will Increase Speed of Communication and Pace of
Advancement or Decline.
(8)  Knowledge Creation and New Thinking = Enlightenment.
(9)  Scientific Discoveries and Societal Realities Force Ethical Choices.
(10)  Competition Increases to Attrack/Keep Talented People.

Anne then gave us her own Number 11:  Changes in the Church are Creating a
New Order for the 21st Century.

All of these trends will have a great impact on our future.  The small
group discussions about how to better understand and meet these trends were
most interesting.  All the principals concluded that each of us has a most
interesting job and meeting the needs of our children and addressing the
changes in our world will be challenging.  We also thank God that we have
His assistance.

The Superintendent of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, Sister Kathryn Ann
Connelly, spoke to us about "Journeying into the Future, Embracing the
Detours."  She addressed leadership, creativity, and embracing change.  We
learned that we are standing on holy ground for the Lord is present and
where He is, is holy.

It seems that I had a lot to communicate today.  However, yesterday was a
very good day for the principals, and I thought you'd might like to know
what we do at Principals' Meetings.

Take care.  Have a good weekend.  Have a blessed and prayerful Advent.

God's blessings,

David Reker

(without the quotes).

Archived messages: //www.freelists.org/archives/ganews/