[gameprogrammer] Re: crunch time

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:11:31 -0700

Thanks a lot for everyones responses, i really just needed this
confirmation that this is beyond rediculous.

The sad part too, this is all due to poor scheduling by the producer.
Everyone at this company was excited at the prospect of making money
on the game but nobody outside of the programmers really cared about
designing it or making it.

as an example, we got 5 or 6 rounds of UI redesign (last one while we
were mid way through testing) and each time it seemed each UI cut a
handful of features out of the game because they were missing from the
interface, for the simple reason that the person designing it didnt
take the time to learn about the game.

I know many of the people on this list are or started out as
ameteur/hobbyist game developers like myself and it's just sad going
to a company being run by people who "know what they are doing" when
in fact they have no desire to make quality games, and don't really
know that much about making em.

I could see myself working 90 hours on a game that had a clear design,
was innovative, or someone had some vision about.

Working long hours for no extra pay is esspecially a bummer when they
are shooting for mediocrity...

</rant>

thanks again for the info,
Alan