[gameprogrammer] Re: Tile RPG??

  • From: Daniel Greeson <thecrow815@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:27:24 -0800 (PST)

that makes a lot of sence!!  Thanks a lot for your help.
Alan Wolfe <atrix2@xxxxxxx> wrote:Hi Daniel,

Have you ever noticed how in some RPG's you can see that the map is made up
of different squares of art?

IE they have 1 square that looks like metal grating lets say and they just
use the same square peice of art over and over to draw a walk way or maybe
they have a square that looks like sand and they put it down wherever they
want sand.

Thats what they mean by tiles (:

A simple tile system would be imagine we had a 2d array 5x5 with some values
in it like this:

***R*
***R*
***R*
*=RR*
*****

that essentialy represents our game's map. You can kind of see how it can
be a map already.

Now, Imagine that wherever you see a '*', replace that mentaly with a square
of grass. Wherever to you see an 'R', replace that with something that
looks like a dirt path. Where you see the '=', replace that with a well.

Now, instead of just having a 2d array, we have a dirt path in the grass
leading to a well, and we used 3 different 'Tiles' on our map.

Does that make sense?