[gameprogrammer] Re: Reg. shaders

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:08:57 -0800

Hey there,

You can do shaders in either opengl or directx.
Is your goal to become an artist or a programmer while using shaders?

If your goal is to become a programmer, yeah, you need to make a minimal
engine (program) that is able to render objects that you can apply your
shaders onto.

if your goal is to become an artist, there are various programs out there
that let you write shaders and apply them to objects without you needing to
write code to see your shaders in action.  You can of course go this route
too if your goal is to learn this stuff as a programmer.

I don't know the names of any of those programs off hand unfortunately sorry

Another option is to download something like the unreal engine or unity and
see how their material editor works and learn that.

It all sort of depends on what your ultimate goals are