[gameprogrammer] Re: OpenGL reality check.

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:06:58 -0600

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 23:33 -0400, Kevin Fields wrote:
> Microsoft isn't trying to kill OpenGL. They just aren't supporting it using
> the new desktop. The new desktop shell is using DirectX 10 to take advantage
> of the hardware. The old desktop is still available, which, as Microsoft had
> stated, will have support for up to GL 1.5. Beyond 1.5, Microsoft is leaving
> the support up to the individual card manufacturers, which is what's
> currently happening anyway.

Where did you get that from? The best info I have been able to find says
OpenGL 1.1 with no extensions.

> But, people are panicking because Vista's default desktop is using DirectX
> 10, and will convert OpenGL calls to DirectX calls. These people are causing
> mass hysteria with no good reason to. They just refuse to find out accurate
> information.

I have tried to keep this thread from being an MS bashathon and have
nearly succeeded. The best I have been able to figure out what happened
to the students in my class is that they had either Intel integrated
graphics systems or very old graphics cards that have lousy 3D
performance and no vendor OpenGL support. Go figure....

Also, I found that scitechsoft.com has a $19.95 version of OpenGL hosted
on DirectX that works just fine and that that code is working its way
back into Mesa. So, by the time vista gets here there should be several
ways to get high performance OpenGL on Vista. But, you will have to be
smart enough to install it and have hardware that will support it. OTOH,
the graphics requirements for Vista are so high that anyone running it
will have the graphics hardware needed to support high performance
OpenGL.

                Bob Pendleton