[gameprogrammer] Re: OpenGL reality check.

  • From: "Kevin Fields" <drunkendruid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:39:08 -0400

But Microsoft isn't phasing out OpenGL. They've said that they (Microsoft) aren't going to support anything past OpenGL 1.5, and that further implementations and support will be up to the individual card manufacturers. Their reason for this is that they're developing a new set of video drivers that are going to add a whole new way of doing GPU programming, and it would be a huge drain of time to support both DirectX 9/10 AND further implementations of OpenGL, when the new setup is optimized specifically for DirectX.

There's an article on GameDev.Net by one of the DirectX MVPs. He talks about DirectX 10's architecture, and how it fits with Vista.

Here's the article:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2280.asp

Kevin

From: Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>
To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gameprogrammer] Re: OpenGL reality check.
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:15:21 +0100

There is at least one thing that makes MS attempt to put down OpenGL
performance inconceivable: very many CAD programs rely on OpenGL, and if
OpenGL performance drops, CAD users will take notice, thus making Windows
Vista a "not so good option for CAD users". The CAD users are quite many..
And don't tell me CAD programs "does not need the realtime experience like
games" - try that statement on a young mechanical engineer/designer in your
neighbourhood! Realtime if VERY important if you sit all day designing
stuff..

Just my 2cc

/Olof