[gameprogrammer] Re: Design tips for directory server backend for games

  • From: Kevin Jenkins <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:16:13 -0800

Hey, thanks for the replies on this so far. My end goal is to port all of
the RakNet server-based services (nat traversal, nat type detection,
forwarding UDP packets, directory server of running games, patch server) to
google app engine. Then I get very high quality servers and a robust
database with very high uptime. That is a weakness I have in the market
right now because my competitor Gamespy can offer this, where I have to
currently tell my users to pay for and administrate their own servers
(though I do give them the code which is a plus). Users never like to hear
that they need to run their own servers, they want an all in one solution.

It looks like so far a good solution then is PHP to administrate the
database. But all the code that does anything is on java. I need to change
some code to make the C++ side run in TCP in all cases for the client code,
but otherwise this is doable.