[gameprogrammer] Re: Daydreaming, questioning....

  • From: Robbert de Groot <zekaric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:49:22 -0700 (PDT)

1. would be my vote.  Although someone else has mentioned that 2, 3 and 4 could
support it ins some fashion.  But in the end you have something creative and
hopefully fun to show for all your work.

2. would probably be at the bottom of my list.  Unless it will make your life
so much simpler or if you have a community ready and waiting for a good
alternative.  As I see it, the results will have very limited appeal.

3. Sounds like fun, but without an application to use the results, all it will
be is a bit of a toy.  Unless you can target 3D raytrace users or game
developers who want to do space scenes and such.

4. Sounds very cool.  Although more in the geek sort of way instead of a wider
appeal.  Personally I'm curious in what you have in mind for the language and
how they differ from current options.

Robbert de Groot

From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

1) Write the space war game I always wanted to write.

2) Write yet another 3D drawing/layout program. This would be the kind of
program you need for drawing 3D items and doing level layout and design.
Trouble is there are a million of these.

3) Build a planet sim so you can create game worlds without having to do it by
hand. This one popped out while I was thinking about #1. I spent a lot of time
learning just how hard it is to subdivide a sphere. Spheres are really nasty.

4) Stonewolf, the programming language:  a language designed for multimedia
apps whose design is aimed at the future, not the past. Designed for 64 bit
address spaces, terabyte disks, and hundreds of cores.

favourite sites. Download it now
http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.