[gameprogrammer] Re: AI in games

  • From: Robbert de Groot <zekaric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:11:02 -0500 (EST)

--- Azeem Zaheer <azeem_841@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where is AI used in a game.
> Secondly,which type of game uses AI the most.

Any game that has any sort of computer controlled
characters/items/whatever has AI.

Racing games: (Pole Position, Out Run, Formula 1, Mario Cart...) AI
will be needed to figure out how to control the non player cars
around the race track; acceleration, braking, navigating corners,
navigating around other cars.  And how aggressive those cars will be
when racing.

Board games: (chess, checkers...) AI will be needed to figure out
which move will obtain the best outcome.

Scroller games: (R-Type, Metal Slug, Q-Bert, Pac-man, Bubble Bobble,
etc.) AI is usually pretty simple but still, computer controls the
enemy characters, even if they follow set patterns and such.  It's
still AI.

First Person Shooters, Top Down Real Time Strategy: (War/Star Craft,
Doom, Quake, yadda yadda...) Computer will need to effectively handle
the enemy units with path finding and attach/retreat logic.  3D games
can be more challenging depending on the environment that the enemy
units live in.  Or they could be as simple as scroller game logic
using set patterns and such.  It'll depend on the game.

> I have learnt C++.  Now, do I have to learn simply AI or AI in C++.

Choice of programming language has nothing to do with AI.  In most
games AI is very tailored to what the computer will need to do to
play against the player.  It will all depend on the game you are
trying to make.

To learn AI you will need to know the problem you want to solve
before figuring out the algorithms you will need to solve that problem.

Robbert de Groot