[gameprogrammer] Re: AI in games

  • From: "Charlie Lobo" <charlie.lobo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:36:33 -0600

OK for your first questions
AI is used in so many places, basically AI is whenever you need the computer
to "imagine" how it's going to do something, this can be:
How to get somewhere (check the Dijsktra's algorithm or A* for basic
pathing)
How to beat the player in any game (be it the whole game (as an RTS) or a
sub-game (like a battle in an RPG)
What actions should a PC do in a certain situation (like for example if you
jump at a ledge the character grabs on to it)
etc.
Notice that AI is not making one intelligence, it's making specialized
algorithms that make seemingly intelligent answers, that's why it's
Artificial.

Games use all kinds of AI, when we understand that no one programs a whole
"brain" and makes them do all sorts of things (with few exceptions) because
that'd be too hard to make it run on realtime. Games use mostly specialized
Algorithms, thought now we start seeing more elaborate decision making,
where various algorithms put diferent weights on the decisions.

Finally. A lot of people use LISP for AI, but I don't think that is the case
in games. If you want to see some interesting thing research the next:
Game Theory (Mathematics)
Dikjstra's Algorithm / Floyd's Algorithm (Path making)
Bayesian Decision Making (Probability/Programing) (Understand Bayesian
Probability first)
Inference Engines (checkout CLIPS)

You may see how to use this on C++ or not, you maybe would want to make the
AI with a script or such (because it needs a lot of tweeking). Hope that
helps.