[gamebiz] game budgets

  • From: shrapnel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gamebiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

What do people think about the ballooning budgets of games?  Budgets,
teams, and production values have become ever higher, and it's become more
and more difficult for indie developers to make their mark on the
industry.  Is this the death of the garage game developers, or do new
institutions such as open-source software signify a coming new era of
indie development?

I always seem to end up comparing the game industry to the movie one, even
if the comparison is poor.  However, movies went through the same type of
growth to where it is today, with most of the movies being huge-budget
marketing behemoths.  Still, there are indie movies that manage to garner
attention, but it's interesting to see that even some of the so called
"indie" movies nowadays sport millions-of-dollars budgets.

Personally, I'm rooting for the open-source movement and would gladly work
on several such projects if I could find a way to maintain a living doing
so.  Does this mean that capitalism stifles creativity?  Ok, I'll stop
rambling.

I'm just curious to see if most of you think the game industry is moving
in a positive direction or not.

Eric