<FWG> (USS Meridian) "Life By Eyes Flashing" Pt. 3

  • From: Brad Ruder <kylepiercecpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fwgalaxy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:12:41 -0800 (PST)

From the USS Meridian...
  "Life By Eyes Flashing"
  Part Three - Golden Ethics
  by Lieutenant Ethan Chastain

  Special Guest Writer:
  Lyryn Cate as Commander Sylvia Warren

  The transport had landed and Ethan had stepped out with his bag tossed on his
shoulder. His short hair was already blowing in the desert-like wind. It was
warm and thick, but it didn't bother him. He missed the cool spray from the
ocean, but he would manage. The institute rose up like a citadel to the smaller
compounds around him. "Aegena Neurological Research Center," Ethan said aloud
to no one in particular, "Start of the rest of your life, Chastain."

  He had taken too steps when he stopped. For the first time Tyler wasn't the
center of his thoughts when he was thinking of the rest of his life. It scared
him a little, but knew that Tyler understood and would be there in six months
when his internship was up. New challenges come with sacrifices, he thought to
himself as he stared up at the amazing fountain on the walkway to the entrance
of the center.

  "Yes, that's true," a young woman walked up to him. "Don't worry, whatever
sacrifices you made will be worth the time spent here. Ensign Chastain? I'm
Lieutenant Miniri Duvall. I'm your escort to see Commander Warren. She's a nice
old lady and she'll get you started. Please, follow me."

  Ethan didn't have time to say much of anything as he was led across the
compound's courtyard. "So, you read my mind because you thought you had to?" It
was a joke, really, Ethan just felt like lightening the mood after having his
thoughts probed by a complete stranger. However, he had to admit that he was
taken aback by her beauty. Sex was sex, but it was one's personality that
cinched the deal.

  The doors swooshed open and the lobby area was just as impressive as he had
imagined from the outside. Miniri led him to a gray-haired lady behind the main
counter fiddling with one of the consoles there. "Commander Warren, this is
Ensign Chastain, your newest recruit."

  "Ah! Welcome!" Her smile was warm and kind.

  "So, where do you want me to start?" Ethan asked, eager to get going. "My
speciality is neurological functions."

  "That's all well and good," she smiled, "but it's a non-issue, really. I'm
Dr. Sylvia Warren and we're going to get to know each other really well, I'd
say, Mr. Chastain."

  Ethan was bewildered for a moment. He was in the right place, wasn't he? He
looked around and checked signs to make sure. "I'm Ensign Ethan Chastain, the
neurologist out of the academy here for the neurological research internship. I
figured that I'd be working with patients and what not."

  Sylvia looked slightly perplexed a moment. "No... the project was for
volunteers from the Academy. We're doing some research testing and needed
volunteers who could communicate with us easier than the average person off the
street. I had assumed you were briefed on all this, Mr. Chastain."

  "Just this," he replied as he handed her a PADD across the counter. He
realized that it was just a piece of twisted propaganda in order to get
unsuspecting people to give six months of their livelihoods away. "If it is a
researchee position you need filled, I guess that I'll just get myself
reassigned." Tyler and he could be together on a ship now. He was overjoyed
that fate had placed this in front of him. Granted he was already missing the
idea of being a researcher, but as he said, sacrifies must be made.

  "Now, now, Ethan," her grin widened just a bit, "I can call you Ethan, can't
I?"

  "I guess."

  "Alright, Ethan, you're already here. The position is open, it will give you
valuable insight into how research is performed, it looks wonderful on your
record, and, not to mention, the vast importance of this project to benefit
Starfleet."

  She made a terribly good point. And, most researchers - at some point or
another - submitted to tests to 'pay their dues' so to speak. He would rather
just blow it off and return to Tyler. "I don't know, I don't like the idea of
being poked and prodded knowing that I was lied to so someone could have
another lab rat. That's not ethical, now is it?"

  "I'm not sure where the mix up was, Ethan. I don't write those contract
postings. What I do know is how important this project is and how important it
is to have bright young minds like yours who can express to us exactly what is
happening, changes that have occurred, in order to perfect what we're doing and
benefit all of the Federation. Surely you want to take part in something such
as this! We need you."

  Thoughts of Tyler surfaced again. He had already submitted to the fact that
he would be gone for six months; why would it be any different now other than
being on the other side of the forcefield? Ethan shrugged it off, "All right.
Six months. And, then I'm out of here just like everyone else." One thing Ethan
was damn sure of: he wouldn't tell Tyler he had been goaded into being a guinea
pig.

  "Well made choice," the older woman's eyes twinkled as she spoke, reaching
out to squeeze Ethan's shoulder. "I'm really excited to have you here and
you'll get to see and learn so much! And I'm going to be available for any
questions you have day or night. Now! Let's get you all settled in."

  Someone took his bag and he was ushered toward two large durasteel doors.
They parted, revealing a two rows of 'cells'. People smiled at him and others
were laying on their bunks. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. He nodded
at the Commander who led and Miniri who walked besides her. "Uh, thanks..."