<FWG> [Section 31]Remember to Smile

  • From: Jet <offerings_burnt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freedom Writers <fwgalaxy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:47:08 -0800 (PST)

Remember to Smile
  by Anthony Shimbrodus

  "Ah, Mr. Shimbrodus. My name?s Zeke. Please, sit," the new trainer greeted
warmly with too perfect a smile. Zeke took that moment to observe Anthony as
the young man nodded and took his seat, shifting about slightly. When Anthony
looked up, Zeke?s smile was unchanged and he decided to start, "I trust you?ve
been briefed on your latest assignment."

  "Yes," Anthony responded.

  "You don?t sound so sure, Zephyr, is something wrong?"

  "No," Anthony said immediately. When Zeke?s gaze didn?t break, Anthony
sighed, "Really, I?m okay. Just a little tired. Anyway, yes, I?ve been briefed
on my assignment."

  "Good," Zeke?s smile dimmed a shade, eyes searching and picking at Anthony?s
current state. "Observation isn?t all that hard. You?ve been placed back on
ship duty and it seems you?re up for another promotion. We?ve taken the liberty
to place you on the list for the U.S.S. Meridian."

  "Is there something wrong on the Meridian?"

  "Not unless you find some disloyal officer," Zeke smirked lightly and
continued, "Just simply observe them. You?ll be headed into enemy territory at
times, so your latest training and knowledge on Dominion systems will be
invaluable. I?ll contact you periodically. If there?s any change in your
orders, you?ll be notified."

  Anthony nodded and the silence around him said everything. Zeke registered
that and spoke up, "This isn?t some sort of demotion, nor is Section
criticizing your ability as an operative. But you?ll still very . . . raw.
You?ve passed all the training requirements, your observational skills are
above average to that of a regular Starfleet officer, but for a Section
operative, there is still room for improvement. You?ll find improvement in
everything you do, so don?t take this as ?training?, but advancing what you
already know. Observation is critical to any operative on the field. You?ll
find that just this simple task can be very difficult, and over time, you?ll
have honed the skill to a point where details register in seconds, not a minute
or three."

  Zeke looked at Anthony?s quiet acknowledgment and decided to test the young
operative, "When you entered, what did you notice?"

  "Not a lot," Anthony openly admitted.  Trying to recollect his memory, "You
sit with a slight slant. It could either be just a habit or something you?re
concealing. Your smile has been the same since I walked in. Your eyes haven't
flinched or moved since we've talked.  Your whole demeanor is . . . disarming."

  "I?ll give you credit on the sitting, only operative would notice such a
thing. And yes, it?s just the way I sit. My eyes have been searching
everything, finding anything I need to know about you.  Want to know what I've
gathered?"

  When Anthony nodded, Zeke leaned forward a bit, "You come off as the quiet
type. You actually don?t like this assignment, and explaining it made you a
little relieved. When you walked in, your eyes darted quickly around the room,
as your training has instilled. You seem a little distracted at times, but I
realized you're thinking too hard.  Also, I'm contemplating wether it's
thoughts or lack of confidence that keeps you a touch from actually holding
yourself the way you should.  And you don?t smile, not once have you even
formed anything close to one.  If you want to observe and gather information
that goes beyond the computer screen, sometimes a smile is all you need."

  Anthony frowned at the statement, "I don?t understand."

  "Part of observing is opening yourself up to anything that comes your way.
When you smile, other people find you approachable, and all too often they are
always looking for someone to talk to. However, you frown too much, and that
usually makes people avoid you. Smile, observe, and if anyone approaches you,
keep smiling, you?ll learn everything you need from that person. Most
operatives have a hard time discerning what is true and what?s false when
people tell their stories, but since you?re half-psychic, you?re already a
walking lie detector.

  "And now you look like you?ve been smacked with a revelation," Zeke chuckled,
"Remember to keep the smile, Zephyr, and you?ll be okay."

  "I'll try and keep that in mind.  Smiling is easier said than done.  I'll
work on it.  When do I leave?" Anthony asked.

  Zeke kept his smile, making it a little warmer then when Anthony first walked
in, "Tomorrow, 0500. Good luck, I?ll contact you as soon as you?ve been
approved for duty on the Meridian."