[ftir_tga] FW: FTIR tests

  • From: David Griffith <griffith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ftir_tga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ftir_tga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:23:49 +1100

From: David Griffith
Sent: Friday, 2 December 2011 15:16
To: 'Johannes Laubach'
Cc: John Hunt; Hamid Sokhan; Melanie Cameron
Subject: RE: FTIR tests

Dear Johannes,
This is a very nice bit of work - thanks!  Much of it confirms what we have
seen before, and I have made liberal comments throughout.  Temperature
correction is particularly difficult because there is more than one cause of
temperature sensitivity, and each has a different dependence.  I attach a doc
describing some earlier work I did this year - this also looks at the
temperature error effect after a cell evac-fill procedure.

I think the residual effect is understandable because we don't have a good
calibration of the pressure gauge near zero - it could be wrong by 1 mb, and
that would explain the f values you see.  (1 mb at 1000mb doesn't matter - it
calibrates out - but at 1 mb it is a 100% error). Nice work that - no-one has
looked at the residual effect in detail, though we knew it could be there.

Do you mind if I send this doc to Sam Hammer, , Benoit Wastine  and others
interested?  I'm sure you would get more and good feedback.  In fact I am about
to start an FTIR mailing list, as agreed in Wellington at the GAW meeting, and
Benoit at LSCE has started a forum where such issues can be posted and
discussed.  I would suggest you sign up for the forum and post it there.
Meanwhile I will set up the mailing list.  This would be a great start and we
would all find it useful.  I'll attach Benoit's email announcing the forum.

Thanks again, very useful!  Have a good weekend.
DAve