[fswproject] Team Message

  • From: Nathan Cobb <nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fswproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 22:57:09 -0800

Hey guys,

I just wanted to make sure that I sent an email about what I wanted to discuss with you guys as well during the meeting.

First off, Andrew let me know during one of the previous meetings that he's going to need a bit of help with his cut of the "GET" work on the backend, since he's having trouble getting that finished alongside his class obligations.

Next, the plan for the coming weeks is to get the backend finished (as much as we need to begin working on the UI), and start working on the UI (it'd probably also be a good idea to create a mockup of the UI so that Susan has a good idea of what we have planned for the new website. Alongside that, Mikhail brought up during the last meeting that he wanted to get the password hashing provided by Django up and running (so that access to the website is secure, this will also prove useful in the future).

Another thing that I mentioned to Susan (which you may have noticed in my email to her) is that we're officially stopping development of the old version of the website, so that we can focus solely on the development of the new website. The reason for this, which has been discussed previously (in meetings as well as in the email I sent to Susan), is that it's simply not entirely beneficial to FSW or us to continue developing that website solely for the purpose of making them happy and getting feedback from them (feedback which we've mostly already received, and which won't be all that useful given the major changes being introduced with the new website).

I also mentioned that we're anticipating to have somewhat of a working website going by April (just an estimate based on the optimism during meetings). Not really a hard deadline, but I felt that I should let everyone know just in case you missed it in (or didn't read) the email to Susan.

I'll be compiling a list of all of the features/ideas we've discussed up to this point, and organizing them in a way that I think is best. After that, you can give me feedback on that and we can make adjustments accordingly. If there's anything else that I missed that you wanted to bring up, send a follow-up message to the team and we can discuss it.

Thank you all for your hard work, we're making great progress!

Take care,
Nate