[FSW Project] Re: Fwd: Re: FSW Project Update

  • From: Nathan Cobb <nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fswproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:10:21 -0800

Hello everyone,

I briefly skimmed over the notes on the wiki and there doesn't seem to be anything regarding deployment. Please see Jeremy's last email to us:

"""
Hey guys,

I'll jump in here and say that yes - the full time job thing is pretty killer when it comes to getting anything done prior to 5pm (6pm in most cases) but when it comes to deployment I can write something up. Considering that I was the one who ended up merging the backend and frontend services into one CentOS box I feel it's rather necessary for me to do so. I can block out some time on either Monday or Wed. after I get home from work to do a full set of documentation related to the deployment process and subsequently the process of deploying both services on a fresh linux distro (just in case down the line people want to move away from CentOS or are required to start from scratch). With that in mind I will be writing the documentation with the assumption that the students doing the deployment are either in or have taken CPSC-254 and are comfortable with a no-gui linux setup. I think it would be best if someone could automate a bit of the deployment process via a bash script (changing the ip tables and network settings) too. A quick breakdown of the deployment is:
1. Start the VM
2. Change the static network settings
3. Update the IP tables to allow outside hosts to hit port 80 and 443
4. The frontend and backend services should start automatically when the system boots but if they don't then you can simply start fsw_backend and fsw_frontend.

and that's it. Updating the VM on the other hand can be a bit tricky as it's currently tied to my github account but a simple config file edit should fix that so I'll write something about that too.

Right now Intuit is at a low and even though my time is limited the tax season picks up on 12/1 when we launch our online product again. It is incredibly important that anyone who plans to work on the FSW project go through and read the documentation I wrote on the wiki in case they have any questions related to either the content that is there or the content that they think should be there. I do not mind writing more or answering questions but after 12/1 you might as well consider me gone till after 04/15/15. I know around this time in the year classes can be rough but please try your best to find some time and read the available documentation.

Thanks,
Jeremy
"""

I don't believe he was able to get the deployment notes finished since we didn't get anything, so it'll be up to him if he ends up giving us detailed notes on the deployment process, but for now we have to work with the list he gave us:

1. Start the VM
2. Change the static network settings
3. Update the IP tables to allow outside hosts to hit port 80 and 443
4. The frontend and backend services should start automatically when the system boots but if they don't then you can simply start fsw_backend and fsw_frontend.

To me, it seems pretty straightforward, but there may be a few things that we won't see until we dive in. What do you suggest we do based on that? I guess we could try deploying on a test system and make notes based on that run, just a suggestion.

Regarding Yuri and Boris, their responses have been as few and far between as usual, so I haven't heard anything since the last report.

Regards,
Nate

On 12/14/2014 4:47 AM, Mikhail Gofman wrote:
P.S. I think our best plan of action is to read what is on github and if it outlines how to deploy the VM, then our team should follow this as soon as the finals are over without delay.

Otherwise, we can ask Jeremy to give us the configuration.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
-Mikhail

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Mikhail Gofman <migsoft2@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:migsoft2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Dear Nate,

    I believe that we can deploy the VM we have now. From what I
    understand, the system was basically working. All we need to do is
    to transfer it to the FSW IT (if Boris and Yuri would cooperate).
    Is my understanding correct?

    We this said, couldn't Rob or Jeremy give us like an hour of their
    time to tell us any details about the VM? Are these details
    already on github? If they are on github, then why not, after the
    finals week, have the current team follow these and deploy the VM?

    Thanks,
    -Mikhail

    On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Nathan Cobb
    <nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hello Fellow Team Members,

        Below you will find the latest email from Susan.

        Mikhail, I'm not sure what to do at this point. We have a team
        of 4 members (Ashwin, Kathy, Scott, and Vihang) willing to
        work on the project, 2 members (Jeremy and Robert) which have
        graduated and do not have the time in their schedules to
        dedicate to development, and 1 member (Jaime) who did not have
        the time to dedicate to the project this semester and may
        return to us in the future, and myself (knows the ins and outs
        of the project and its requirements, but cannot help on the
        development side of things).

        I know there was talk of deployment soon, and I suspect that
        what Jeremy wrote up on the wiki for our GitHub repo would
        suffice to get us started, but I cannot confirm this as I
        don't have the time to dedicate to development. With that
        said, I don't know what to tell Susan. I understand her
        frustration, but it's safe to say that it's not the fault of
        any individual, but rather circumstances and bad timing that
        has led to the project remaining mostly stagnant for the
        majority of the semester. We don't have the (student)
        resources readily available to deploy this right away at the
        moment, and learning what to do and how to do it will take
        time, so I need your help in announcing what we need to do next.

        Regards,
        Nate

        *From:* Nathan Cobb <nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
        *Date:* July 28, 2014 at 8:08:53 PM EDT
        *To:* Susan Sober <spsblau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:spsblau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>, Boris <bboris@xxxxxxx
        <mailto:bboris@xxxxxxx>>
        *Cc:* fswproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:fswproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        *Subject:* *FSW Project Update*

        Hello,

        Since our last update we've encountered what should be the
        last handful of problems with the system before we're able
        to make it available for you to download. You may have
        noticed that I said /system/ rather than /systems/, which
        is because in our last meeting we decided to merge the
        systems into one for simplicity and convenience. After
        diving into merging the two systems, we realized that
        there were problems that we did not foresee previously,
        but I'll spare you the description of those problems and
        instead let you know that we're working hard to correct
        them as soon as possible.

        I'll keep you updated on our progress with that throughout
        the week, as things change. I apologize for all of these
        minor problems that have been delaying our delivery, but
        you can be sure that we'll be delivering the system to you
        in a state which we think you'll be satisfied with and
        you'll find to be worth the wait!

        On a side note, could you have Boris get back to us on
        those questions that I sent out in my last email? We'd
        really appreciate if we could get those answered as soon
        as possible so that we can avoid any further delays on top
        of the minor problems we're encountering with the merge.

        Until next time, take care!

        Thanks,
        Nate

-- *Yuri Lumelsky*