[FSW Project] Configuring Your Environment

  • From: Nathan Cobb <nathancobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fswproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:19:51 -0700

Hello everyone,

To start off, Rob or Jeremy please correct me if any of the information I give them is wrong or misleading, I'm going to do my best to let them know what they need in order to start tinkering around with the development environment we use for the project. Additionally, if you guys have any resources that you used specifically to help you, please indicate those in a reply so that they can benefit from them as well.

From what I remember, you'll need PyCharm <http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/download/> and Django <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/intro/install/> mainly. I know there's some trickery to get PyCharm fully working correctly with developing our project, but I think it'll be sufficient if you just use it as an IDE rather than using it as a project development solution (by this I mean PyCharm being able to run the website on its own; this can also be done manually, which Rob will be explaining in a subsequent email).

I'm not familiar with MacOS or Windows (I develop exclusively in Linux for school), but the Linux setup is as simple as downloading and installing PyCharm (which on Linux just involved extracting and running it), then using "sudo apt-get install python-django" (assuming you have Python 2.7 already), confirming that installed Django, and going from there. A very important thing to note is that we will be using Python 2.7 for this project, NOT Python 3 (which comes pre-installed on Linux as well as 2.7 I believe). Python 3 uses a different set of syntactical rules than 2.7, and you'll get errors via your interpreter if you try to use Python 3 instead.

Let me know if you have any further questions, you can find detailed installation instructions at the links that I've provided above.

Have a great weekend!

Take care,
Nate