[FSW Project] Re: CPSC 456: Class Absence

  • From: Jeremy Chavez <xfives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fswproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 22:24:26 -0800

Hey guys,

I'll jump in here and say that yes - the full time job thing is pretty
killer when it comes to getting anything done prior to 5pm (6pm in most
cases) but when it comes to deployment I can write something up.
Considering that I was the one who ended up merging the backend and
frontend services into one CentOS box I feel it's rather necessary for me
to do so. I can block out some time on either Monday or Wed. after I get
home from work to do a full set of documentation related to the deployment
process and subsequently the process of deploying both services on a fresh
linux distro (just in case down the line people want to move away from
CentOS or are required to start from scratch). With that in mind I will be
writing the documentation with the assumption that the students doing the
deployment are either in or have taken CPSC-254 and are comfortable with a
no-gui linux setup. I think it would be best if someone could automate a
bit of the deployment process via a bash script (changing the ip tables and
network settings) too. A quick breakdown of the deployment is:
1. Start the VM
2. Change the static network settings
3. Update the IP tables to allow outside hosts to hit port 80 and 443
4. The frontend and backend services should start automatically when the
system boots but if they don't then you can simply start fsw_backend and
fsw_frontend.

and that's it. Updating the VM on the other hand can be a bit tricky as
it's currently tied to my github account but a simple config file edit
should fix that so I'll write something about that too.

Right now Intuit is at a low and even though my time is limited the tax
season picks up on 12/1 when we launch our online product again. It is
incredibly important that anyone who plans to work on the FSW project go
through and read the documentation I wrote on the wiki in case they have
any questions related to either the content that is there or the content
that they think should be there. I do not mind writing more or answering
questions but after 12/1 you might as well consider me gone till after
04/15/15. I know around this time in the year classes can be rough but
please try your best to find some time and read the available documentation.

Thanks,
Jeremy