[fsug-calicut] Re: [smc-discuss] Re: [Cross Post] Project announcement

  • From: Ranjan Das <thejranjan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 12:36:47 +0530

Ellavarkum namaskaram. Malayalam type cheyan android phonel ithuvare
sramikkathathukond njan englishil thudaratte.

I am new to this movement and I am sure none of you in the list knows me.

I am a free software lover and a great fan of RMS and Linus Torvalds. :-) I
use GNU/Linux for my personal use and at office too.

There is an idea in my mind which I am thinking about for quite some time.
I believe one of the main reasons why the adoption of Linux fails among
common people is when it comes to the software installation part or to be
specific the dependency on internet. All of us knows that we have a better
software management system when compared to M$ Windows.

First let me tell you that this is a thought and not an expert opinion. I
need all of you to correct me if this is an idiotic thought.

So let me start.
"Nowadays BSNL broadband is quite common even in rural parts of Kerala. We
can also take other ISP's too. So now most of the houses where they have a
computer usually opt for a broadband internet connection (may be the most
basic plan also). Is it possible to discuss with ISP's like BSNL not to
meter the Linux software installation requests!!! ie. Like ISP's are
providing free whatsapp/Facebook  data etc. This can really help not only
home users, but will also help educational institutions and others
organisations etc. This can be achieved in another way also by
mirroring/caching famous distros repository to ISP's data centers/infra
facilities like exchanges etc there by reducing the inter country traffic
for ISP's.

And ilugs can volunteer to maintain this in however way.

I strongly believe that such a thing will surely boost the Linux adoption
across our state. And we can confidently promote GNU in full swing."

Note : mandatharam anenkil kshamikkuka. Waiting for response. :-)

Thanks to all for reading.

Regards
Ranjandas