[fsug-calicut] Re: hurd ...

  • From: "Dileep M. Kumar" <dileep@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:02:54 +0530

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:03:37AM -0000, devxx9 wrote:

>>>when  i came  to this  group i  found that  most of  you  are using
>>>debian/linux and  not part of  lug. if we  are pure gnu  people and
>>>going  on according  to www.gnu.org/philosophy.html  we  should use
>>>gnu/hurd right?. i just wanted to know your response ?

Because Linux is GPLed.

IAC,  GNU  HURD  (not GNU/HURD)  is  not  as  functional as  Linux  at
present. But it  is technically better than Linux.  Once it release its
stable version we can use that also. Still there is no ethical problem
in using Linux since it is based on FSF's GPL.

Read http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html#status

It is not  ready for production use, as there are  still many bugs and
missing  features. However,  it  should  be a  good  base for  further
development and non-critical application usage.

Regards
--
 .''`.     Dileep M. Kumar <dileep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: :'  :    http://www.kumarayil.net