[fsug-calicut] Re: [fsug-tvm] Policy-based Resilience Simulator with OMNeT++

  • From: Jaseem Abid <jaseemabid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ILUG TVM <ilug-tvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:02:19 +0530

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Jesse Francis <atjesse2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had sent a mail sometime back asking for help on compiling open source
> network simulator, OMNeT++. I received no reply, I assume that there's no
> one working with that software in this group.
>
> I managed to set up the simulator after almost a month's research, and
> noted down my observations in the attached link, hoping that it will be
> useful for someone in future.
>
> I have tried to structure the articles such that each article is
> independent of  other unless mentioned. That is, to build OMNeT++ alone,
> you can follow this
> article<http://atjesse.wordpress.com/policy-based-resilience-simulator/installing-omnet/>and
>  for INET, this
> one<http://atjesse.wordpress.com/policy-based-resilience-simulator/installing-omnet/compiling-inet/>
> .
>
> Setting up Policy-based Network Simulator :
> http://atjesse.wordpress.com/policy-based-resilience-simulator/

First of all, I'm not criticizing you. Please don't feel offended.

I very often come across people asking for help on specific s/w on various
local
lug/foss mailing lists (I follow a lot of them) and I see majority of them
go
without a reply. Its falls into 2 categories.

1. Question is very simple and first hit on Google *will* solve the issue.
The
   community will follow the RTFM/LMGTFY rule and let it go. Google for
help or
   if you really need help (all of us need it at some point of time), get
into
   the project IRC channel. The overhead in an email is much more than a IRC
   message, so chances of getting helped is exponentially high on a IRC
compared
   to a mailing list.

2. Question is very specific and nobody really knows about it because the
list
   is small. This might be the thing that happened with this specific
question.
   Old rule applies here too, but obviously it can be much harder sometimes.

So, why do we need local mailing lists? For local events of course, and
other
notifications. I admit that sometimes its good to get at least some
questions on
an idle mailing list, like FSUG Calicut. So let me use it for that. If
somebody
here wanna meet up, talk about free s/w and have a coffee, lets just meetup
this
Sunday at Calicut beach :) The last meeting had 2 attendees including me,
hoping
to make it better this time ;)

--
Regards,