[fsug-calicut] Re: fsug calicut meeting on 26/9/08 mananchira square

  • From: "Anoop John" <anoopjohn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 02:01:55 +0530

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Anivar Aravind wrote:

> I feel the need of strengthening the group  first. User groups works
> normally as peoples collectives with no formal leadership . Not as
> registered entities. making power structures first will kill the movement.

I agree perfectly with Anivar. Making power structures will most
likely kill the movement. The perfect dynamics will be where people
who take the initiative emerge as leaders. Besides, having office
bearers would leave you with very small number of points of failures.
It must be remembered that this is a not-for-profit venture and it is
always going to conflict with the regular employment of the office
bearers. But leaving it as an informal structure will allow anybody to
take initiative depending on their available time and motivation. On
top of this, a formal organization is going to put a lot of overhead
on your operations. Unless you have lots of funds to manage this is
not really a legal requirement also.

Having said all the above there are some definite advantages of a
formal organization, for example when some organization asks your
representative of his formal authority within the group. We have not
faced that so far in the existence of GLUG Trivandrum and you can
safely assume likewise for you in the near future. Formal organization
makes fund management safer for the community but I doubt if there
would be lot of funds to manage initially.

My personal opinion is to go informally initially and once you grow to
a large organization with sufficient funds, for for formalizing. But
the decision is totally up to the community.

Cheers
Anoop

http://www.zyxware.com
http://www.anoopjohn.com
http://www.thondomraughts.com
"Be the change you wish to see in the world", M. K. Gandhi
FSUG-Kozhikode Home Page :
//www.freelists.org/webpage/fsug-calicut