[fsug-calicut] encrypted fs in ubuntu server

  • From: "stranger in black....." <gnuise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-tvm <ilug-tvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, fsug-calicut <fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:33:28 +0530

I installed ubuntu server 9.04 in a system with encrypted home directory....
The pass-phrase and login password were same. But after completing the
installation, the client asked me to change the login password. But after
that, when ever the system is restarted, the /home/username/ folder is
encrypted. So cant login via gdm. The thing I done for the decrypting the
home is by going to the text mode by ctrl+alt+F1 and login. When tried to
list the file and folders in the folder using *ls*, I got only two
files, *README.txt
and "Access Your Private Data"*. I decrypted the home folder using a command
given inside the *README.txt *(I dont remember the command now) with the
help of the pass-phrase which is the old login password and restarting the
gdm. But the action is temporary. When ever the system is restarted, again
the home folder is encrypted. How to make it *permenent*?

Junise Safvan
mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.gnuise.co.cc
www.fsugcalicut.org