[fsug-calicut] [Commercial]Sneak Peek Into LINUX For You

  • From: "Niraj Sahay" <niraj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 06:45:20 -0000

Dear Readers,

First off, we would like to thank our readers for an overwhelming
response to the June 2006 issue of LINUX For You.

The monsoon season brings with it a gift that we are sure most of our
readers were eagerly awaiting. For the third month in succession, LFY
has bundled a DVD, and that too, a distro that had virtually become
the 'numero uno request' on our readers' wish list - Debian Linux 3.1.
Check it out and do send us your feedback.

On the editorial front, we have a great article on the tuXlabs project
which is a partnership between the Shuttleworth Foundation and South
African schools to setup self-sustainable computer centres in South
African schools using open source. We have also included a resource
manual - the tuXlabs Cookbook - in this month's LFY CD that serves as
a recipe for setting up a tuXlab and explains formal processes like
education, application, installation, support and training that define
the tuXlabs model. We hope that this article and the cookbook will
serve as facilitators for the policy makers in our country to take
full advantage of open source in our education system.

Starting this month, a new column has been introduced called
CoomunitySpeak. Here, we take a topic and post it on various LUGs for
members to give their opinion on the same and the best 5 responses get
a place in the magazine. This month's topic is 'Why is it that a clear
majority of world's top ten supercomputers are powered by GNU/Linux?'
Also, in the 'Down Memory Lane' series, we look at the history of the
Firefox project.

For Techies
*  Konquer Your File Management with KIO
*  Interconnecting Two Asterisk Machines
*  Getting Mobile with Your Linux Laptop
*  Basics of System V Semaphore
*  Linux Scheduling (Part I)
*  Manipulating the Networking Environment Using RTNETLINK
*  Ruby as Enterprise Glue
*  Webglimpse-Make Your Site Searchable
*  Making Startup Services in Red Hat Manageable
*  SNORTing Out Network Intrusion
*  Security Features In Debian 3.1

For Newbies
*  Learning Foreign Languages with Tux
*  Ubuntu 6.06 LTS-Do the Dapper Dance
*  Freespire-A Curtain Raiser
*  A Sneak Peek Into AJAX

For Policy Makers
*  OpenGovernment: How to Develop an Open Source Industry in
Developing Economies: Learning to Play the Open Source Services Game
*  tuXlab-An Open Source School Computer Centre Programme

The LFY CDs

LFY DVD - Debian 3.1

Regarded by many as the most comprehensive Linux distribution, Debian
3.1 (Sarge) bundles a host of software packages and runs on numerous
computer architectures. Managed by a non-profit community of users,
Debian has emerged as the distribution of choice for the Linux gurus.

LFY CD #2 - Smart Office Tools
  * Developers: FOX, Scintilla, SW Test Automation Framework, XPlanner
  * Office Tools-OpenOffice.org 2.0.2, KOffice 1.5.1, AbiWord 2.4.4,
Gnumeric, Ted 2.17, TextMaker, PlanMaker, LyX 1.4.1
  * Power User: Clam AntiVirus 0.88.2, Webmin 1.280, JBoss
Collaboration Server, Apache James
  * Fun Stuff: Fish Fillets: Next Generation, Maelstrom, Defendguin,
Entombed, Boson, freedroid, PPRacer
  * Updates: Kernel 2.6.17.1, Clam AntiVirus

Our effort is in your hands now. We hope you cherish reading the issue.

WHERE TO GET YOUR COPY?
Problems getting a copy of LFY? Feel free to reach out to our
distributors (IBH) listed below:
# Ahmedabad - Mr. S. K. Sharma (079-26577068)
# Bangalore - Mr. Devaru Bhatt (080-22261305, 080-22252385)
# Chennai - Mr. Vijay Rengan (044-28273893)
# Hyderabad - Mr. Ramesh Rajgopal (040-27564945, 040-27561140)
# Kolkata - Mr. Mehta (033-22498096/97)
# Mumbai - Mr. Indur Vaswani (022-24943707)
# New Delhi - Mr. P. K. Das (011-23313014/15)
# Pune - Mr. Ashok Basant (020-26131261)
# Trivandrum - Mr. Hari Kumar (0471-2475443)

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE OR COMPLAIN?
Go to our website www.lfymag.com OR email at support@xxxxxxxxxxxx OR
call at 011-26810601/02/03

Warm Regards!