[fsug-calicut] A golden chance for al of us to act

  • From: praveen A <praveeneea_nitc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FSUG Calicut <fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hello friends,

     I got a chance to go through the text books of 8,
9 and 10th standard for IT @ School programme. I was
very happy to see GNU/Linux every where with equal or
more importance than windows. The book covers all
basic functions like word processing, graphics
processing ... But the fact is different from the text
books.

    Today I went to our nearby school to arrange a
training programme for the teachers so that they get
some confidence in what they teach. But what I learned
from there is very disturbing. The higher authorities
try to avoid GNU/Linux completely out of the picture
by instructing the teachers to only teach Windows.
They are gone so far as to tell them that since it is
free software there are so many problems and they
should not use it and they should not let the students
use it either. One thing I could understand that
though the teachers are interested they don't know the
things and they don't feel the confidence to do it. So
what we are planning is to give them training in
GNU/Linux this vaction (December). I hope by sharing
the experience and knowledge we posses to them we can
help spreading the cause.

       I hope all of us can do a better work in gong
to the schools with our friends and help them
understand the underlying philosophy as well as
expertise so that we can spread the message of Free
software and GNU. It is very important that the
younger generation be aware of their options and
choices. So this is a golden opportunity for every one
of us to act. I hope we can make use of this
opportunity to fulfil our dreams of free software and
free society.

With love
Praveen A

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail