[fsug-calicut] Re: 2 Day FOSS program...

  • From: sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut <fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:25:26 +0530

> As much as I care about Free Software, I don't want to force my views
> on others. I accept Open Source campaign as a part of our community.
> We should convince people who use the term Open Source to use Free
> Software and tell them to talk about Freedom. I don't agree with
> pushing Open Source campaigners as untouchables.

I didn't say that Open Source Campaigner's are untouchables. My only
concern is that on long run Open Source will fail to ensure the
Software Freedom.

I failed to explain my concern, I think this wikipedia page will do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_licenses

If I am quoting Hrish's words with few modification, Open source is
corporate friendly while Free Software is community friendly(This is
purely my perspective).

If I'm using a BSD code, I will be able to build a propitiatory stuff.
But it is not possible with GPL(BSD is Free Software Compatible).

Anyway it is a choice of the developer.

--
Regards
Sooraj Kenoth