[fsf60k] last night's meeting

  • From: "richard wiltamuth" <dwiltam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 13:13:36 -0400

dear friends,
much of the focus was on projects in nuevo amanecer.
on the students' april trip, pete white and others spoke with the mayor of
telica about flooding that affects several houses. hizzoner promised to
remedy with situation with a bulldozer. a nicaraguan official at the united
nations has been enlisted to stiffen his resolve.
the diesel generator for the pump broke and is being repaired under
warranty. there is talk of buying a backup generator and/or installing solar
panels to supply electricity.
the biointensive farming program, george pardo reports, is ready to move
ahead. jerry, our adviser on the scene, needs to tell us how much money is
needed, and when, to get the project going. money is available. george says
fencing is a major early cost.
george also reports that arsenic levels in the water are testing at 30 parts
per billion, triple the standard. he proposes filters for each household
according to plans by a professor in new jersey. the filters could be
assembled here by students and shipped to nuevo or possibly carried in
suitcases. research is needed on the materials and shipping costs. these
filters are in use in the far east, but it is not clear if they are being
assembled there or being shipped.
the tv and dvd player recently supplied by the willens is being used with
enthusiasm. it was reported that unsavory fare is sometimes being displayed
on the equipment, so more wholesome dvds have  been purchased.
the school administration has posted the position of adviser for sf60k, a
so-called 0.60, in which the adviser would teach for two periods a day and
spend the other three periods on club business. the superintendent has vowed
that all comers will be considered, including applicants not currently on
the staff. friends will monitor the selection process, and the functioning
of the club in the new school year. apparently  the district also has agreed
to pick up the costs of chaperones on the nica trips, vehicle costs there,
and to provide buses to projects in farmingdale and huntington.
"sarge," who has chaperoned several nica trips, was awarded $10,000 by his
company in philadelphia for his good works. the check is made out to
friends, and will be spent in consultation with students and the recipient.
someone in the community is thought to want to give friends $5,000 but wants
a statement about the group's activities. the statement is being prepared
and could become the basis of a brochure produced by our own jennifer brady
cotter.
please keep in mind the students are holding their first annual "new orleans
night" 7 to 10 p.m. on friday may 16 in the high school cafeteria. several
of them have worked all year on this event, which promises home-cooked
creole cuisine and live blues and jazz music. price is $15 for adults and
$10 for students. hope to see you there.
lastly, fliers were passed around courtesy of kate shreck about
high-efficiency wood-burning stoves that are made in nicaragua. they are
supposed to produce much less smoke and consume 60 percent less wood. some
are already in use in amatitan through the efforts of our lady queen of
martyrs volunteers. these could be an alternative to solar cookers, two of
which have been provided, one in nuevo and one in chacraseca. we await
feedback on whether these cookers are being used.
our next meeting is planned for thursday, june 5, same time and same place.