[fsf60k] Re: Meeting this Thurs. eve.

  • From: kcshr@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:27:56 -0600 (CST)

Thanks, George.  Great news on the comedor project.  Your mention of Pepsi as a possble donor made me smile.  When I made my first trip to Nicaragua with SF60000 I was shocked at all the Pepsi ads I saw.  They were a sharp contrast to the horrific poverty and devastation (just after Mitch).  When I got back I wrote to Pepsi and even sent pictures.  Never got an acknowledgement....nada!!!  Good luck.

Kate

On 03/01/12, gpardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<gpardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hola Amigos,

I can not make the meeting tonight, as I have too many things on my plate, but I will give a quick update on the Comedor Escolar study.  It is almost ready. Last night Jerry (agricultural engineer in Nicaragua) and I were crunching numbers via Skype to plan for 100% sustainability in 4 years, barring a natural disaster.  We came very close and Jerry will make adjustments to the plan for 100% sustainability by the 4th year and  resubmit by this Saturday.  We will then have the study/proposal translated into English, which will probably be ready by the beginning of April.  Concurrently we should research possible donors and develop an implementation plan. Pepsi has already been identified as a good good match for funds, but contact has not yet been made.

On another note, following is a link regarding water and electric in Guinea in western Africa  http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=106919 , copy and paste into your browser.  The article highlights their problems on these 2 issues as a country and thoughts on a path to rectify the situation.  I thought it was interesting as we are addressing similar issues in Nicaragua, but on a much smaller scale.

Best to all,
George

Sent from my HTC Status™ on AT&T