[fsf60k] From Fran re: Words from Carol for meeting

  • From: akillelea@xxxxxxx
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:19:16 -0400 (EDT)

    Normal  0          false  false  false    EN-US  X-NONE  X-NONE

                 Hi Carol and everyone,
Thoughtful and thought-provoking letter, Carol, thank youfor taking the time.
I guess I have some comments along with othersof us…
First of all, I want to say, having been around from earlyon, that in my view
both Students for 60Kand Friends of are really uniqueon Long Island– lots of
people I meet express that they wish such thingsexisted in their school
districts and their communities.  The groups are the shining fruits of the
ideals, hard labor and intense dedication oftwo people, Dick Streb and Pete
White, and then Dick W., and we can neverrecognize  that enough, and then
theircontinuation and the continuation of our projects are thanks to the ideals
andhard work of many others – we all know who you are and we thank you all for
your work and your sacrifices.   Ithink it’s important to note that people who
will set aside much of their ownpersonal life and needs for others these days
are HARD TO FIND (myselfincluded).  We saw that when looking fornew advisors
for Students, and we seethat in our meetings at times, which is the frustration
Carol refers to, andshe is right, but that’s a hard thing to solve.
I think the mission of both groups is still absolutelyvalid, and I am signed on
– to help the poor and underserved wherever they maybe, with a special focus on
the truly poorest poor (so that would be in thedeveloping world, of course, for
example Nicaragua).  I for one don’t feel we want to change ourmission’s focus,
just to see where we want to focus our energies and time.

And of course that time, for most people, is limited.  Particularly with a
small group like Friends of. I think there are many who would sign on to our
group if they knewof its existence, so that is probably a good argument for
example for holdingour film festival at the Cinema Arts Centre, so we can cull
HIHI people andother like-minded folk who want to commit their energies to
helping others lessfortunate but don’t necessarily have or know of a group to
do it with.  Perhaps limiting ourselves to the Northportarea has been
limiting.  PR and letting people know that we are here,I think, is key.  Let’s
broaden ourpublicizing of our mission and activities somehow, I’d say.  Of
course we need grants, and monies – thereis no doubt.  And that’s not easy.
And of course we have to continue our goodwork in Nica and elsewhere, and add
projects which make us passionate in linewith our mission.  (What personally
makesme “passionate,” as Carol has asked, are dealing with poverty here and
elsewhere,fighting racism against Hispanic immigrants here, and facilitating
access tohealth care for the poor.)

But I feel that we need to grow our membership firstand foremost, in every way
we can think of, as it’s not fair to have Pete,Kate, and a few others bear most
of the burden of whatever projects we are committedto.  So let’s brainstorm how
to do thatat upcoming meetings?  If we want tosuggest specific other projects
while we are doing that, fine, but let’s aboveall stay on mission and publicize
that mission first and foremost, so we will growour manpower (humanpower) for
any specific projects.

I disagree a bit with Carol, in that I feel we have a hugeuntapped membership
potential in former Northport High School students andtheir parents – they may
not be local, agreed, they may not be able to or wantto come to meetings, they
may not even go to class reunions, but they can stillbe virtual members – and
virtual members who pay a small fee annually for theirmembership so that those
of us who are local and can do things together in anonvirtual way can do our
work.  I thinkmany of those former SF60K folks would want to maintain their
connection withour group or with Students, and otherNorthporters may wish to
enhance their lives by such a connection – but we have to aggressively find
them, weneed to let people know moreaggressively that we are here,  what we do,
and how to get involved and stayinvolved with us.  We are thefollowup to
Students for those folks,young or old, local or as close as a click of a mouse.

So in short, I personally think PR is the key to our group’scontinued and
growing success, whatever our specific projects.  Why don’t we brainstorm ways
we can do ongoingPR, including to both younger and to older folks who may not
use Facebookand so on, out there in all our surrounding communities.  I feel we
need to get our name and our groupout there – make the mission clear, and keep
people updated on what we aredoing and our meetings and contact info, maybe
monthly.  Maybe use libraries, newspapers, pennysavers,garage sales, and the
like in addition to the Internet.  It takes time, but it could pay off in
myview.  People at different stages in lifehave more or less time, this is true
and that’s OK.  But everyone has time to write a check orcheck an email, to
“participate” virtually in our projects and contributesomething.  There is so
much work to bedone helping those less fortunate – it is far too much for one
person, or 6people, to do.  But the need remainsclear, we just need more help,
and that means more people who know we’re hereand want to sign on for whatever
they can contribute.
This is the way I see it, maybe some agree with me?
Best to all,
Fran Killelea